Patrons & Director
Professor (Dr.) Srikrishna Deva Rao
Chairman and Chief Patron
Professor (Dr.) Srikrishna Deva Rao is the incumbent Vice-Chancellor of National Law University Delhi and an eminent teacher and scholar in criminal law and access to justice.
Prof. (Dr.) Anupama Goel
Mentor & Patron
She joined NLU Delhi in August 2012 as Associate Professor (Law), and has taught Constitutional Law and International Law to undergraduate students, and Comparative Public Law to postgraduate students.
Dr. Risham Garg, Associate Professor of Law, NLU Delhi
Dr. Risham Garg holds a Doctor of Laws (LL.D.), doctoral research degree, for his work on International Contracts & the UN CISG Convention.
Professor Dr. Herbert Kronke
Director, Institute for Comparative Law, Conflict of Laws and International Business Law, Heidelberg, Germany
Dr. Herbert Kronke is professor of private law at Heidelberg University School of Law, and director of the Heidelberg Institute for Foreign and International Private and Economic Law.
Professor Dr. Symeon C. Symeonides
Dean Emeritus and Alex L. Parks Distinguished Chair in Law, Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon, USA
Dr. Symeon C. Symeonides, Alex L. Parks Distinguished Professor of Law, Dean Emeritus, is an international law scholar and professor at the Willamette University College of Law in Salem, Oregon, United States.
Professor Dr. Ingeborg Schwenzer
Chair Professor of Private Laws, University of Basel, Switzerland
The former Dean of Swiss International Law School is Professor emerita of Private Law at the University of Basel/Switzerland and Adjunct Professor at Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia. She was also adjunct professor at City University, Hong Kong and at Griffith University, Bribane/Australia, and held guest professorships all over the world.
Professor Dr. Michael G. Bridge FBA
Cassel Professor of Commercial Law, London School of Economics
Dr. Michael Bridge is an Emeritus Professor of Law at LSE. He was an undergraduate and postgraduate student at LSE before starting his academic career. In 2013, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy. In 2014 he was called as a Bencher of the Middle Temple, and in 2017 made a QC (honoris causa).
Professor Dr. Bruno Zeller
Professor of Transnational Commercial Law University of Western Australia
Professor, Dr. Bruno Zeller, PhD (Law), The University of Melbourne; Master of International Trade Law, (Deakin University); B.Com. and B.Ed, (The University of Melbourne). Dr. Zeller is a Professor in Transnational Commercial Law at The University of Western Australia, Perth. His expertise includes international trade law, conflict of laws, international arbitration, data protection and maritime law.
Professor Dr. Stefan Vogenauer
Managing Director, Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, Frankfurt, Former Director of the Oxford Institute of European and Comparative Law, University of Oxford
Dr. Stefan Vogenauer works mostly in the areas of European legal history, comparative law and transnational private law. He has a particular interest in legal transfers in the common law world, the history of EU law and the comparative history of legal method.
Professor Dr. Upendra Baxi
Emeritus Professor of Law, University of Warwick, UK
Distinguished Professor, NLU Delhi, Former Vice-Chancellor, Delhi University
Distinguished Professor, NLU Delhi, Former Vice-Chancellor, Delhi University
Dr. Upendra Baxi is a legal scholar, since 1996 professor of law in development at the University of Warwick, United Kingdom. He is presently a Research Professor of Law and Distinguished Scholar in Public Law and Jurisprudence at the Jindal Global Law School, OP Jindal Global University.
Professor Dr. Mahendra P. Singh
Chair Professor of Comparative Laws, NLU Delhi Chancellor, Central University of Haryana, Former Vice-Chancellor, NUJS Former Dean, Faculty of Law, Delhi University
Dr. Singh started his career as a lecturer at the University of Meerut and has since then been associated as a lecturer/fellow/visiting professor with several institutes of national and international repute, including the University of Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University, the University of Heidelberg, the University of Hong Kong, and National University of Singapore.
Dr. T. K. Viswanathan
Advisor to the President of India, Chairman BLRC, Former Secretary General Lok Sabha, Former Member of Law Commission of India
Former Union Law Secretary Padam Shri Dr. T K Viswanathan is the key architect of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code as Chairman of the Bankruptcy Law Reforms Committee. In 2017, Government of India awarded him the fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri for his work in the field of literature & education.
Professor Dr. A. Jayagovind
Visiting Professor, NLU Delhi, Former Vice- Chancellor, NLSIU
Prof. A. Jayagovind obtained his Ph.D. in International Monetary Law from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and he has been subsequently specializing in International Trade Law both in its public and private aspects. He has published extensively in these areas. He served as Chair Professor of WTO Studies and subsequently as the Vice-Chancellor of National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore.
DR. M.S. SAHOO
Distinguished Professor, National Law University Delhi, Former Chairperson IBBI
Dr. M. S. Sahoo, an acclaimed thought leader in financial markets, has four decades of professional experience. This includes two decades in regulation of markets and professions, as Chairperson, IBBI, Member of the CCI, Secretary of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Whole-time Member of the Securities and Exchange Board of India, and Economic Adviser with the National Stock Exchange of India Limited. As a Member of the Indian Economic Service, Dr. Sahoo has served several Ministries in the Government of India. He also had a brief but eventful legal practice.
PROFESSOR S. SACHIDHANANDAM
Distinguished Professor, National Law University Delhi
Professor S. Sachidhanandam practiced law for three year and entered law teaching in T. N. Legal Education Service in Madras Law College as Jr. Professor of Law and thereafter worked in Tiruchirappalli, Madras, Madurai and Thirunelveli as Professor and principal. He also served as the Vice Chancellor of Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai. He headed the team for the Seminar on INDO-AMERICAN NUCLEAR DEAL in the University of READING in 2008 and he also visited CARDIFF and LONDON Universities, 4inns, Comparative law centres in London.
PROFESSOR CHARLES SCOTT PRYOR
Professor of Law, Raleigh University, USA
Previously, Professor Scott Pryor taught at Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach for 17 years. He is an UG in philosophy from Dordt University in Sioux Center, Iowa and a J.D. from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin and he also received an M.A. in theological studies from Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, Florida. He has taught courses in Contracts, International Business Transactions, Sales, Secured Transactions, Comparative Law, and Bankruptcy. He has published in several contentious areas.
PROFESSOR REBECCA PARRY
Professor of Law, Nottingham Trent University, UK
Professor Rebecca became an academic after studying for a PhD at the University of Manchester (1995-1997). Her thesis was on avoidable transactions in insolvency law and it was supervised by Professor David Milman. Before joining NTU she was a lecturer and then senior lecturer at the University of Leicester (1997-2007). She joined NTU in 2007 and has since published widely in various aspects of insolvency law and latterly in law and technology.
PROFESSOR DON DE AMICIS,
Professor of Law, Georgetown University, USA
Professor De Amicis is the faculty co-director of the Center on Transnational Business and the Law and the faculty director of the Executive Securities and Financial Regulation LL.M. program. He joined the faculty on a full-time basis in 2019 following a career as a partner at Ropes & Gray LLP, an international law firm, and as the Vice President and General Counsel of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the U.S. government’s bilateral development finance institution. He has taught comparative law at the University of Arizona Law School, lectured at numerous foreign law schools, including Leiden University and the National Law University, Delhi, India, been a Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences, and served as the Executive Director of the National Law Center for Inter-American Free Trade, a commercial law reform institute.
Statement of Aims
The Central mission of advancing the body of knowledge of transnational commercial law in India is achieved through a number of objectives:
- To be a national leader in private and government transnational commercial law research and teaching.
- To be a centre of excellence in private and government transnational commercial law reform advice and policy evaluation.
- To provide consultative services to Government, Institutions and Organizations, dedicated towards development of Transnational Commercial Law and Practice.
- Publication of books, journal, magazine, newsletter etc on Transnational Comparative Commercial Law.
- To design and conduct courses – Certificate, Diploma and PG on Transnational Comparative Commercial Law and Practice.
- To be a national forum for academics, practitioners and regulators working in private and government commercial law.
- To conduct seminars/conferences, workshops, debates/discussions, clinics, trainings, etc on Transnational Commercial Law.
- To liaise with institutions, professionals, NGOs, governments, Public Authorities for conducting research and undertaking projects regarding Transnational Commercial Law.
- Any other assignment related to promotion of academic discourse on and practice in Transnational Commercial Law.
- To actively engage in deliberations involving the Unification and Harmonization of International Private Laws along with the UNCITRAL, UNIDROIT, The Hague Conference and similar institutions & organizations.
Research Grants and Consultancy
MHRD GIAN Courses
- Grant of US Dollars 12,000/- from Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India; MHRD GIAN Course on Comparative Contract Law & Practice, May 12-22, 2016; Invited Professor Stefan Vogenauer, Chair of Law Institutions of the Max Planck Society.
- Grant of US Dollars 12,000/- from Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India; MHRD GIAN Course on Cross-Border Business Law & Practice, October 10-23, 2016; Invited Professor Bruno Zeller, Professor of Transnational Commercial Law, University of Western Australia.
Symposium and Conferences
- 2016 UNCITRAL Asia Pacific Day, in association with UNCITRAL RCAP, “Whether the Uniform Sales Law is Likely to Improve ‘Ease of Doing Business’ and ‘Enforcing Contracts’ in India?” 2016 UNCITRAL Asia Pacific Day, at National Law University Delhi, 17-October-2016
- Conference on ‘Bankruptcy & Cross-Border Insolvency Laws in India- the way forward’; 14th May 2016, National Law University Delhi
- Talk on ‘India’s new Bankruptcy Law’, by a Panel comprising Mr. Sumat Batra Advocate, Dr. Rajeswari Sengupta of IGIDR, Mr. Pratik Datta of NIPFP, moderator Dr. Risham Garg. On 5th November 2016.
- Submitted an opinion note to the Chairman, Bankruptcy Law Reforms Commission, on Cross-Border Insolvency Regime for India